To create proper systems for functioning of the University, five committees were constituted to cover the aspects relating to Faculty Development, Research Initiatives, Co/Extra Curricular activities, Student Mentorship and Academic Administration and their draft reports were placed for consideration of the board at its 8th Meeting held on 22 Nov 2014.
The University is growing into conglomerate of diverse institutions with multiple colleges and networked centres of knowledge and expertise, including libraries, laboratories and research, teaching and training facilities. Requirement of domain diversity and multi-faceted dynamism present major challenges and rich opportunities in dealing with stakeholder expectations and aspirations.
VGU policies reflect deep and abiding commitment to support and foster excellence in every area of teaching-learning and research. To maintain relevance in a rapidly changing and increasingly competitive environment, the policies are non rigid but with their rationale firmly grounded in consistency, equity, transparency and social commitment.
Information technology is to be used to create an automated system whereby the component tasks of the teaching-learning process as also the work of faculty development and strengthening of the University can be monitored in real time and made as transparent as needed and possible to all stakeholders, including the management, faculty, staff and students.
We need to create a culture of responsibility and accountability with due appreciation of effort and work of all concerned that leads to systematic progress on all parameters and development of excellence in our faculty, staff and student body. We also need to develop a mechanism which will lead to a sense of intrinsic motivation whereby a cycle of development through hard work and commitment towards the institution will be put in place
The five committees have suggested the following objectives to be achieved by implementing this plan/policy :
- Empowering training to faculty members and students and providing facilities in the area of research so as to file at least 10 patents by 2018/2019.
- Undertaking continuous professional development initiatives for faculty members so as to minimize attrition and ensure retention of faculty for a reasonable period of time.
- Personal and professional development of students so as to ensure their retention
- Create a culture of continuous learning on part of students as well as faculty
- Make 100% students suitably employable.
1. Academic Administration
- Third person feedback of our students
- Third person feedback of teaching-learning process in progress
- Student’s feedback by means of elaborate parameter-based questionnaires
- Class results analysis in normalized manner
- Grants applied/received; papers written/published, books published; participation in campus, technical events, conduction of such events, higher studies
- Review of outcome of events conducted
- Manner of and regularity in taking classes
- Promotion / increment to be linked with performance
2. Faculty Development
- Mentoring, monitoring, training and counselling of faculty members
- System for appraisal along with reward and recognition
- Continuous professional development for minimum 20 hours per semester
3. Student Mentoring
- Assigning about 10 students to each faculty member for mentoring
- Peer mentoring
- Develop a set of core expectations for mentors and mentees
- Reward effective mentoring
- Motivation to student to engage in research
- PG students to mandatorily engage in research
- Fixing target for research proposals from faculty/faculty-students for each department to State/Central funding agencies
- Industry oriented research keeping in view requirements of local Industry
- Providing seed money/incentives for research
5. Foundation Building
- Dividing students in groups in accordance with their academic performance so as to make focused efforts for development
- Training students in skills sets required by the Industry
- Exposing the students for development of entrepreneurial skills
- Improvement of communication and soft skills
- Monitoring to be undertaken through fixing targets and set parameters
- Evaluation of the targets and actual achievement at periodic intervals
- Corrective measures for deviations from the targets
- Elaborate use of information technology for monitoring the implementation and progress of the mechanisms discussed about
- Reflection in overall academic environment of the Campus
- Analysis of examination results
- Achievement of students in extra and co-curricular activities
- Formats to be devised for regular reports
- Micro Management Cell
- Expenses for student development program to be charged from students
- Third party certification cost to be born by students
- Efforts to be made to obtain grants / funding for research activities
- Major financial burden will be on continuous faculty development
Time frame for implementation and achievement of desired results is five years.
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
- Pharmacy Council of India
- Council of Architecture
- Bar Council of India(Faculty of Law Approval)
- Association of Indian Universities
- UGC Degree Award Letter