To create proper systems for functioning of the University, five committees were constituted to cover the aspects relating to Faculty Development, Research Initiatives, Co/Extra Curricular activities, Student Mentorship and Academic Administration and their draft reports were placed for consideration of the Board at its 8th Meeting held on 22 Nov 2014.
The University is growing into conglomerate of diverse Institutions with multiple colleges and networked centres of knowledge and expertise, including libraries, laboratories and research, teaching and training facilities. Requirement of domain diversity and multi-faceted dynamism present major challenges and rich opportunities in dealing with stakeholder expectations and aspirations.
VGU policies reflect deep and abiding commitment to support and foster excellence in every area of teaching-learning and research. To maintain relevance in a rapidly changing and increasingly competitive environment, the policies are non rigid but with their rationale firmly grounded in consistency, equity, transparency and social commitment.
Information technology is to be used to create an automated system whereby the component tasks of the teaching-learning process as also the work of faculty development and strengthening of the University can be monitored in real time and made as transparent as needed and possible to all stakeholders, including the management, faculty, staff and students.
We need to create a culture of responsibility and accountability with due appreciation of effort and work of all concerned that leads to systematic progress on all parameters and development of excellence in our faculty, staff and student body. We also need to develop a mechanism which will lead to a sense of intrinsic motivation whereby a cycle of development through hard work and commitment towards the institution will be put in place.
The five committees have suggested the following objectives to be achieved by implementing this plan/policy:-
- Empowering training to faculty members and students and providing facilities in the area of research so as to file at least 10 patents by 2018/2019.
- Undertaking continuous professional development initiatives for faculty members so as to minimize attrition and ensure retention of faculty for a reasonable period of time.
- Personal and professional development of students so as to ensure their retention.
- Create a culture of continuous learning on part of students as well as faculty.
- Make 100% students suitably employable.
- Third person feedback of our students
- Third person feedback of teaching-learning process in progress
- Student’s feedback by means of elaborate parameter-based questionnaires
- Class results analysis in normalized manner
- Grants applied/received; papers written/published, books published; participation in campus, technical events, conduction of such events, higher studies;
- Review of outcome of events conducted
- Manner of and regularity in taking classes
- Promotion / increment to be linked with performance
- Mentoring, monitoring, training and counseling of Faculty members
- System for appraisal along with reward and recognition
- Continuous professional development for minimum 20 hours per semester